I may have been compensated for this post. If an item is being reviewed, I am not obligated to give a positive review and always use my own words. This disclosure is in accordance with Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising. If you would like a review done contact Dannelle at firstname.lastname@example.org
If you’re in the 30-something crowd, you’re bound to remember singing, “I’m proud to be an American, where at least I know I’m free…” and now, though, with all the politics and negativity spread on social media, we have to wonder, is it okay to be proud to be an American? Yes, yes it is. Even in this globalized world, here are 10 reasons you can be proud to be an American.
- In 2015, the US again topped the world in foreign aid, contributing over $31 billion to the development of other nations.
- Even though it is well known that the US imports and consumes a lot of oil, we also top the world in geothermal electricity, a renewable resource.
- We truly do have a way to a better life for anyone, though at times the ways aren’t always well known. While there is a lot to be said about the cost of college, low income families still have Pell Grants and states like Michigan offer virtually a free associate’s degree to young adults who have state medical insurance through the Tuition Incentive Program. It really can be done in the US.
- While many countries have forced military service, the US has the largest military* and it is currently all volunteer. That means Americans believe in the country and that it is worth fighting for!
- We have coasts, mountains, meadows and more. There’s plenty of places to travel and learn about the “different Americas” for sure!
- With travel, the US is connected with over 7,000,000 kilometers of roadways, the most in the world. We really can get to every corner of the US.
- We are a nation of immigrants and immigrants can make it. The son of Iranian immigrants made eBay. Sergey Brin, one of the founders of Google is an immigrant as well. Email was also invented by a first generation American.
- Yes, America still makes the world a better place. We create, we innovate, even if we don’t have the steel mills of yesteryear, we still contribute globally.
- We demand excellence, even when we don’t have anything to directly gain. While many countries have problems with water, in the US, we don’t find it acceptable that people we don’t know, do not have clean water, so America demanded change, and the people continue expose issues.
- We still believe in liberty. Even with the fights between the two majority parties, more people are waking up to the politics at hand and seeing that perhaps we need more than two parties, and that the goal is that of liberty and justice for all.
Americans are awake and aware. We are fighting battles within the US, against drugs and how money may corrupt, but we still believe in the American dream, and we are working hard to maintain our status in the world.