I was picked from a lot of bloggers to ask some questions of James Hyland — Roundy’s Vice President of Corporate Communications.
MOST of these came from my readers… so see what I asked, and what he answered.
1) First of all, understand that I am a HUGE Roundy’s fan who shops at my local Copps store. That being said — what do you say to those who mourn the loss of your fuel perks program and consider the new Fresh Perks as a poor replacement? If you do the math:
–If you spent $400 on groceries and got fuel perks, you would have earned $.80 (PER GALLON). If you put 15 gallons into your tank (average fill up) you would save 15 x $.80 OR, $12.00
–NOW, If you spent $400 on groceries, you get $4.00. (And that is from July 18th to September 25th).
A: We certainly understand the disappointment of those who mourn the loss of the Fuel Perks program. However, Fuel Perks was limited to certain locations within our core Minnesota and Wisconsin markets. We’re always listening to our customers to ensure we are giving them the rewards and programs that they will find useful. We heard from our customers that they wanted a program where they could save money on everyday grocery purchases; Fresh Perks is in response to that feedback. Additionally, not all our customers drive, so we wanted a program that could provide value to all our customers.
2) Do you think you will be hurt by others in the market who are still doing a fuel perks program? I have heard that some customers refused the Fresh Perks Card in protest (from store employees).
A: Our customer loyalty philosophy is centered on three key areas:
1.) Superior customer service
2.) Full-service departments
3.) Competitive prices with strong value proposition
If we continue to live up to these three initiatives, we feel confident about maintaining the loyalty of our customers.
3) You brought back a rewards game! Over 9 million in prizes and NEWLY Designed game pieces. What was the motivation to change the game pieces? (I love them!)
A: I assume you are referring to the Monopoly promotion of the past few years? We did a thorough analysis of the promotions available to us and we felt the Fresh Perks promotion made the most sense. It is a new and exciting promotion for our customers with a very generous giveaway that we felt customers would be excited about where every ticket is a winner.
4) The online version of the game is new — How do you feel that is going to go over?
A: We believe that the response will be a strong one. With the chance to win daily gift card prizes, free groceries for a year or $25,000.00 in cash, we feel the online game will be well subscribed to.
5) Why can you not add your fresh perks points online? It would be most convenient if you could login online and enter the sweepstakes and add points at the same time. That would save cashiers and customers time because they won’t need to be scanned the next time you are shopping.
A: The setup of the store and online promotions were done separate and distinct from each other. Although I understand your comment about function over form, we kept them separate and distinct to create the excitement that goes with each one.
So — there you have it!
—>Now, for the giveaway — they are offering $25 for one of my lucky readers!!
Here’s the catch: you have to have a Roundy’s Card! The winner will need to share with me their Fresh Perks card number so Roundy’s can load it with $25 of perks for you.
Just follow the Rafflecopter to take a shot at it….