You may think, “I’m kind to my spouse every day. I clean the house. Dinner is on the table every night. The kids are taken care of.” However, these daily chores can become a given, and spouses can feel taken for granted.
Surprising your spouse at times can be rewarding and fulfilling for both of you. And it may inspire your spouse to do something kind and unexpected for you. An unexpected act of kindness can go a long way to boost every one’s day.
1. Surprise your spouse with their favorite dinner and dessert, or pick up their favorite take out.
2. Has your spouse talked about something they really want to do or somewhere they want to go but hasn’t made plans for yet? Make the arrangements and take them on a surprise trip. Present them with tickets or plans “just because.”
3. Is there a chore or project they haven’t gotten around to yet because they haven’t had the time? Is it something that you could take care of for them? Show them you care by taking care of it for them and easing their burden.
4. Leave unexpected notes of love and encouragement hidden for them to find. Put them in their briefcase, lunch bag, bathroom mirror or in their favorite book. We often take our loved ones for granted and don’t always tell them how much they mean to us. Show your love and appreciation with a little note of love.
5. Does your spouse pack their own lunch or make their coffee in the morning? Why not surprise them by making it for them? Pack something you know they’ll enjoy or make their coffee extra special. Don’t forget to add a little love note to the lunch bag!
6. Give your spouse a massage. Long days, especially if they’re on their feet for hours, can be tiring. There is nothing quite as wonderful as a foot rub at the end of a long day when your feet are aching. Fix your spouse a foot soak with Epsom salts and give them a nice foot massage to help them relax before bed. They’ll sleep great and wake refreshed and energized in the morning!
7. What are some of the things you used to do when you were dating? If your spouse appreciates some romance, show them you still have it in you. Make a playlist or burn a CD of their favorite love songs, send flowers, write them a love letter.
There are so many options to show your spouse that you care, and each one will make them feel loved and appreciated for all they do for you and your family. Give your spouse a little unexpected surprise today!