I may have been compensated for this post. If an item is being reviewed, I am not obligated to give a positive review and always use my own words. This disclosure is in accordance with Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising. If you would like a review done contact Dannelle at firstname.lastname@example.org
It’s that time of year to start creating the holiday magic for the kiddos… creating treasured memories, planting the seeds of family traditions and more.
A little planning on our part can make everything seem so amazingly magical to little people! Some of our favorite family traditions are Advent Calendars, The Great Book Reveal, Giving Trees, Operation Shoebox, Cookie Exchange Parties and seeing the Nutcracker.
Today, we are going to talk about the Advent Calendars!
We usually have one of those chocolate ones that you open the door every day and pop out a candy – the kind you can find almost any where from Farm N Fleet to Claussen’s European Bakery.
Thanks to my buddy Tamara in Germany, we have a German chocolate one for this year…but next year, I think we will use the great idea from HERE.
I won’t make it like they did with all the Styrofoam cups but will do something crafty like the picture (from Scrapbookdimensions.com). I WILL use the list of ideas for what to stick inside them! They match each day and item to a bible verse – thanks to http://www.teachingmom.com/. I LOVE this!!!!
Just look at the first few days:
1. Quarter–A quarter! That equals 25 cents. But 25 also stands for the number of days till Christmas, when God gave us His best present. Jesus told about one woman’s gift and the way she gave it. Read: Mark 12:41-44
2. Grape Gum or Candy–Grapes make jelly and juice, raisins and wine. But Jesus didn’t need grapes to perform His first miracle. Read: John 2:1-10
3. Smiley Face–Here’s a smile! A smile usually expresses happiness. Jesus gave us many instructions to keep us happy. Read: Matthew 5:1-12.
4. Fish shaped candy or crackers–Well, if you were surprised to find these fish, wait till you read the story today! Others were surprised to find fish, too. Read: Luke 5:4-7.
5. Birthday Candle–As you know, we are getting ready to celebrate Jesus’ birthday. However, Jesus talked about something else that is related to this candle. Light! Read: Matthew 5:14-16.
Isn’t that AWESOME???
I LOVE things that are fun AND have a teaching/educating moment to them…and this helps keep the seasonal focus on the real meaning.
Do you do an advent calendar?
Are there other holiday traditions your family enjoys?