When it comes to putting your kiddos to bed, we all sort of have our own unique routine. Some just simply lay our children in bed, turn out the lights and that’s that. Some sit there and tell a story, some read a book to their children. This is what I am going to be talking about today. I am going to be sharing with all of you a few things that show benefits for your children. Now, I’m not saying it is mandatory or that it is wrong if you do not read to your children at night. I just want to share some new experiences with you that maybe you haven’t thought to do and show you how this could be beneficial for you and your child!
1. Enhances Vocabulary and Speech: Children learn by example! If you read to them before bed every night it will encourage them to speak better and understand things better. Reading books will help to expand their vocabulary due to them hearing words that they may have never heard before! Trust me if you start reading to them every night, you will notice that they will begin speaking better.
2. Helps Calm Them Down: If your kiddos are running around and all wound up, reading before bed is a great way to calm them down and help them unwind so that they can go to sleep quicker and have a nice peaceful night of rest!
3. Interaction with You: If you are a busy, working parent you may not have as much time as you would like with them…bed time is the perfect way to get that extra time in! Nothing is better than having that one on one interaction with your kiddos as you read them a story and they simply listen and enjoy. It’s a great way to spend some quality time while enhancing their listening, learning, and speech skills!
4. Encourages Them to Read: Once again, children learn by example! I can’t stress this enough! With that being said if they know that you value reading and think it is important every night, when they get older and can read for themselves, they will want to pick up a book and sit down and read. It’s all about starting them young and setting them up for a successful future.
5. Sparks Imagination: There are all sorts of books out there that are fairy tales, superhero stories, and so many other really fun and amazing things! Reading your children stories like these really helps to get their imagination going and they can really create a picture of the story in their head! This encourages them to have creative thoughts and dreams and that they can dream anything they want to dream! This is just a happy, positive way of thinking and reading your children fun and happy stories encourages this for them.
Although it is not mandatory and not all parents find it to be beneficial for their children, and hey! sometimes kids don’t like books or don’t want to be read to. This is totally fine, but there are some really great benefits to reading to your children at night and I would definitely recommend trying it out if you can!