Today we are going to talk about the Hostess/Butternut/Karl’s Bread Outlet in Madison!
It’s at 621 Atlass, on the East side of Madison, just off of Cottage Grove Road. (608) 221-2201
Bread Outlets are a GREAT way to save money on bread! You can save up to 80% off the store prices but need to keep a few things in mind:
- Some is “old bread” that has been pulled out of the grocery stores when they do their restocking
- Some is “over run” that wasn’t used to stock the store shelves as they stores hadn’t moved enough
- Some is “irregular” that wasn’t able to be used for the stores
No matter WHICH outlet store you use, they all have their own different specials. Here are the one for this store:
- All Boxed Hostess items are $2, when you buy 3 boxes – think Twinkies, HoHos, SuzieQs, etc – that normally run $4 a box plus.
- Seniors save 10% every Tuesday
- Spend $8 get a Freebie off a certain bread rack (has bread, buns, etc)
- Free Sample – One per person (single pack Snowballs)
They also have a loyalty card – where every $2 you spend gets a stamp. When you have 26 stamps ($52 spent) you get a FREE bread item or boxed item
What can $8 get you?
- 1 loaf multi grain bread
- 1 loaf white bread
- 1 bag hamburger buns
- 3 boxes (Twinkies etc)
- 1 2ct pack Snowballs
- 1 FREE pack hot dog buns
- 4 punches on your card (1/6th of it)
Compare that to at the store – that $8 getting you only 2 loaves of bread or 2 boxes of treats…
**Keep in mind that NOT everything in the store is a deal! They often stock chips, pretzles, jams/jellies, mixes, etc – and these items are NOT a bargain! You also can’t use coupons at an outlet…so don’t get excited about that $.50/1 Hostess coupon you were thinking you could bring here. (sigh)
We do have two other Bread Outlets in the area — I’ll chat about another one next week!