This is a great “go to” recipe when you find yourself with an abundance of peanut butter or cereal. Some people call these “Special K” bars…we just call them Yummy! This recipe uses 3/4 less sugar than most recipes I have seen and it uses brown sugar instead of the white that most people use. We talked just a few weeks ago about how WHITE food is bad for you (white four, sugar, rice, bread, potatoes, etc) so this small steps makes it a tad healthier. (OK, I am just living in the world that it makes a huge difference on this sweet treat, LOL!) It DOES use the white corn syrup, it just can’t be avoided here, sorry!
These are SUPER easy to make and very tasty! Enjoy
Dannelle’s Cereal Bars
1 cup white Karo syrup
1 cup peanut butter
¼ cup brown sugar
6 cups Special K or Rice Krispies Cereal
1½ cup semisweet chocolate chips
1½ cup butterscotch chips
1. Put all of the cereal in a large bowl.
2. Melt the Karo syrup, peanut butter, and brown sugar on stove and bring to boil; stirring often.
3. Pour the mixture over the cereal and mix together. Put in to a lightly greased 9×13 pan.
4. Melt the chocolate and butterscotch chips
5. Pour this on top of the bars and let stand to harden before serving!