As a certified foodie, the holidays are a fun time for me! I might scour recipes over the year for a decadent addition to the family table. Healthy is always a consideration but flavor and the ability to blend with the other dishes are also important to me. Bacon in a recipe? BONUS! It’s the candy of meats as far as I am concerned.
This is a blend of two holiday favorites, Butternut Squash AND Mashed Potatoes – with a topping of candied meat! You can leave off the bacon and make the dish much healthier for your heart but it will change a bit of the flavor. Regardless, try it yourself and let me know if you add it to your family get together.
- 1 large 5 lbs butternut squash
- 2 pounds of Yukon gold potatoes
- 2-3 cloves of garlic
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1 pound thick-cut bacon (Yes, I said a whole pound)
- 1 cup fresh parsley chopped
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- freshly cracked black peppercorns
- sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook whole strips of thick-cut bacon ahead of time and place cooked bacon on paper towels to absorb excess grease.
- Cut the butternut squash lengthwise and brush with olive oil. Add sea salt and freshly cracked black peppercorns.
- Place on a cookie sheet and cook in the oven for 45 minutes.
- Cut the potatoes in half and put them into a stock pot. Sprinkle with salt. Cover potatoes with 2-3 inches of water.
- Cook potatoes on high heat until fork tender, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat and drain.
- Remove the squash from the oven and allow it to cool for 15 minutes.
- Using a large spoon, scoop the soft flesh of the squash into a large bowl.
- Combine the cooked, fork tender Yukon Gold potatoes with the squash.
- With a large fork break apart the potatoes and combine them with the squash.
- Add 1 stick of butter, heavy cream, and minced garlic.
- Continue to mix well, add sea salt and freshly cracked black peppercorns to taste.
- Spoon the squash and potatoes into a serving dish, and top with bacon and chopped parsley