My idea of roughing it is staying at Holiday Inn or Howard Johnson’s…so when I tell you that I am camping for a week, you know it might possibly be under duress. I did agree to the purchase of a pop-up camper and have been watching it eagerly be prepared for our first adventure.
This campfire cupcakes treat is in honor of our adventure…and while I make my cupcakes from scratch, you can easily start with a boxed mix.
This recipe of mine makes 12 cupcakes
You will need:
- 1 box of French Vanilla cake mix
- 1 C whole milk
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 C unsalted sweet cream butter
- 1 C graham cracker crumbs
- 1/4 C coco powder
- 1 bag of mini pretzel rods
- 1 bag of mini marshmallows
- 1 package of tooth picks
Directions for cupcakes:
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and line a cupcake pan with cupcake liners
- In a standing mixer, combine cake mix, butter, milk and eggs and mix on medium speed until combined
- Scoop batter 3/4 of the way into the cupcake liners and bake for 21 minutes
- Once done, pull out and set aside to cool
1 C unsalted sweet cream butter
2 C powder sugar
1 tsp vanilla
3-5 TBSP Heavy whipping cream
yellow and orange gel food coloring
1 large piping bag fitted with a medium star tip
- Using a standing mixer, combine the butter, powder sugar vanilla and heavy whipping cream.
- Mix until stiff peaks form
- Scoop some frosting into 2 bowls, 1 for the yellow and 1 for the orange frosting, leaving some frosting in the main bowl to frost the base of the cupcakes
Directions on decorating
In a small bowl, combine the graham cracker crust and coco powder, mix until combined.
Add 2 mini marshmallows to each tooth pick (about 12) and set aside
Using a butter knife, frost the top of the cupcake using frosting left from the main bowl
Once frosted, dip the cupcake into the coco and graham cracker mixture
Using a spoon, scoop some yellow frosting into 1 side of the piping bag and scoop the orange frosting into the other side
In the middle of the cupcake pipe a small star to create your flame
Cut the mini pretzel sticks in half and place around the “fire” about 4-5 sticks
Add your marshmallow sticks to the top and enjoy!
Some other recipes we thought you might like: