Your pet is a member of your family. This is why it’s so important for all pet owners to have an idea of what to do in an emergency situation. We hope that this simple list of basic pet first aid tips helps you be proactive.
Here are some basic pet first aid tips:
- If your pet has a seizure, clear the area to make sure it’s safe. However, avoid touching your pet. They might bite if they are frightened.
- Be aware of the signs of poisoning. Some of these include vomiting, diarrhea, seizures, breathlessness, tremors, and collapsing.
- If your pet gets bitten by another animal, get them to the vet ASAP. They needed to be treated to prevent infection.
- After a bee sting, try to remove the stinger from your pet right away. See a vet if your pet experiences symptoms besides mild swelling or discomfort.
- If your pet has a bleeding wound, apply pressure using gauze until you get to the animal hospital.
- To perform CPR on a pet that isn’t breathing, lay him on his side and remove their tongue from his mouth so it doesn’t block his airway. Wrap your lips around his nose and breathe until your dog begins to breathe or you get to the vet.
These are just some basic pet first aid tips to keep in mind! When in doubt, call your veterinarian’s office or local animal hospital.