- 2 C white sugar
- 6T brown sugar
- 1/3 C light Karo syrup
- 2/3 C whipping cream
- pinch of salt
- pinch of baking soda
I LOVE LOVE LOVE summer holidays and anything goofy to go with them so these Patriotic Deviled Eggs just fit the bill to be something familiar and yet different for a celebration!
You will need:
1 package of eggs (12 eggs)
red and blue food dye
1 large pot to boil the eggs
1 large bowl for ice water
1/2 C mayo
1/4 C mustard
1/4 C Ketchup
1/4 C sugar
1/4 C milk
3 tbsp distilled white vinegar
1 large bowl to dye the eggs
1 medium bowl to mix the sauce
1 small bowl to smash the yolk
1 piping bag with a star tip
- Using the large pot, add water half way to it and place eggs in it
- Place pot onto the stove top on medium to high heat and bring to a boil
- Once boiling, cover and remove from heat
- Let sit for 10 minutes before transferring eggs to an ice bath
- Once eggs have cooled, peel the shell off
- In a large bowl, fill half way with water and add in about 10-20 drops of blue food dye until you get a light but dark color.
- Place eggs into the dye and let sit for 1 hour
- Once the hour is up, pull the eggs out and let sit to dry for 5 minutes.
- Cut the eggs in half going lengthwise.
- Place the yolk into the small bowl and set aside
- Using the medium bowl, combine the mayo, mustard, ketchup, sugar, milk and vinegar and mix until combined
- Using a fork, smash the yolk until fine but crumbly crumbs
- Gradually add in a little bit of the sauce at a time, you don’t want it to be runny.
- Once you have a paste like mixture add a few drops of the red dye and mix.
- Once you get the red shade that you like, add mixture to the piping bag.
- Pipe some yolk into the center of the eggs and top with chopped chives
Check out some of our other Patriotic Treats:
Movies where kids are empowered and actually learn to work together? Count me in! This Power Packed Red Ranger Punch is something for the kiddos to enjoy while they watch the just released movie!
- 1 46oz can red punch
- 1 48oz bottle apple juice
- 1 48oz bottle cranberry juice
- 1 liter of bottle ginger ale
- Ice cubes
- Grey / silver cake sprinkles
- simple syrup
Place on two small plates one with the margarita salt and one with simple syrup
Dip your glass in your simple syrup and then the sanding sugar
Set to the side to dry for 2-3 minutes
Fill your glass with ice
Combine all ingredients in a large punch bowl or pot.
Add ice and stir.
A refreshing treat, these raspberry filled Linzer Cookies are a perfect treat to enjoy with your glass of sun tea this summer.
You will need:
- 1 Cup whole natural almonds
- 3/4 Cups sugar
- 2 Cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 Tsp salt
- 1 Tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 Sticks unsalted butter
- 2 Egg yolks
- 1 Tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 Cup raspberry jam
- Powder sugar for dusting
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake almonds for 10 minutes and set aside.
Ground the almonds and a 1/4 cup of sugar together in a food processor. In a large bowl sift the flour, salt, and cinnamon and shake to mix.
Beat in the butter and remaining 1/2 cup of sugar with a hand mixer until light and fluffy. Mix in the egg yolks and vanilla extract. Add in the almonds and butter and mix until well combined.
Cover dough with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours.
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface. Cut out cookies with a round 3-inch cookie cutter. Use a smaller cookie cutter to cut out holes in the centers of half of the cookies.
Bake for 10-12 minutes until lightly brown on the edges.
Remove from oven and let cool. Take the powdered sugar and lightly dust the tops of the cookies with center holes.
Fill a piping bag with raspberry jam. Spread the raspberry jam on the bottoms of the full cookies. Sandwich the cookies together with the cut-out cookie on top. Fill the centers by squeezing the jam from the piping bag.
Serve and enjoy.
Tip: Raspberry jam can be swapped out with blackcurrant jam.
Check out some of our other cookie recipes:
We love dinners made of “small plate” items in the summer. These are usually things we make in advance and eat cold or take on picnics like our Four Cheese Macaroni and Cheese Bites. This is a gourmet take on a classic childhood staple that wows people as well as being just darned tasty.
You will need:
- 2oz shredded Colby cheese
- 2oz shredded Monterey cheese
- 2oz shredded white sharp cheddar cheese
- 2oz shredded mozzarella cheese
- 8oz cooked elbow macaroni, (right before al dente)
- 1 ½ cups of half and half (or milk or heavy cream)
- 2 tablespoons of flour
- 2 tablespoons of unsalted butter
- ¼ teaspoon of ground sage
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- ¼ teaspoon of ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon of onion powder
- 1/8 teaspoon of ground nutmeg (optional)
- ¼ cup of favorite breadcrumbs (I used Italian)
- Pinch of Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Pinch of shredded parsley (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large pan over medium heat melt butter and add in flour, whisk until well blended. Add in half and half continue whisking, making sure there are no bumps. Add in seasonings, mix well. Lower heat to low and add in cheeses, gently stir together. Keep stirring gently for about two minutes, turn off heat and allow to sit and thicken about two minutes.
- In a large bowl filled with macaroni, slowly fold in cheese mixture.
- Spoon into a well-greased mini muffin pan two teaspoons of macaroni and cheese into each pocket space. Sprinkle each space with a pinch of Italian breadcrumbs. (Optional- sprinkle a pinch of Parmesan cheese to each one.)
- Bake in oven for 15 minutes. Remove pan from heat and set aside for at least 10-15 minutes (if not, it may crumble apart).
- Serve warm and garnish if desired.
**Notes: There’s enough salt in these macaroni and cheese bites with the cheese, you can possibly leave the salt out of the recipe completely. Nutmeg is a take it or leave for some people, but most people love to add nutmeg to any kind of “slurry” mixture.
This CARS 3: Jackson Storm Cocktail is an adult fun drink to help celebrate the upcoming Cars Movie and it’s newest addition: Jackson Storm. This fast, upscale and top of the line car needed a very sophisticated drink in it’s honor. Just so you know, it is shaken, not stirred…
You will need:
1 oz Citron vodka
1 oz Rum
.05 orange liquor
2 oz Cranberry Juice
1 oz Ginger Ale
Red and white cake sprinkles
Add simple syrup to a plate, set to the side.
Add cake sprinkles sugar to a plate
Then roll rim of the glasses in the simple syrup then into the cake sprinkles
Set glasses aside
Fill your glasses with ice
Add your cranberry juice
Add the vodka, rum, and orange liquor and 3-4 pieces of ice to a cocktail shaker.
Cover, shake well, and strain into your glass.
Give it a good stir
Top with the Ginger Ale
Check out some of other special Disney themed Drinks:
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and cut into medium sized squares
- 4 garlic cloves chopped
- 1 red onion chopped
- 1 green bell pepper chopped
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 3 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- About 1 tsp salt and pepper
- 1 can of roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 can of kidney beans, drained
- 1 can of black beans, drained
- 1 12 oz bottle or can of root beer
- 4 cloves of garlic chopped
- 1 4 pound pork shoulder
- 1 bottle of liquid smoke flavoring
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 can of tomato sauce
- 1 can of tomato paste
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 package of lasagna noodles
- 12 oz of cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- 16 oz shredded mozzarella
- 1 pound of ground beef
Pineapple Basil “Mojito”
2 Cups pineapple juice
½ Cup peach juice
⅔ Cup rum
2 Tsps simple basil syrup
1 Tbsp agave syrup
½ Can pineapple chunks
Blackberries (to garnish)
Basil leaves (to garnish)
Use a shaker tin to mix the pineapple juice, peach juice, rum, basil syrup, and agave.
Continuously shake for 1 minute or until combined.
Chill for 1 hour.
Add the pineapple chunks into each glass.
Complete the glasses with the drink and ice.
Garnish with the basil leaves and blackberries.
Serve and enjoy.
For a nonalcoholic version substitute the rum for club soda.
Hot summer days make me crave cool summer salads and this Parmesan Caesar Salad just fits the bill.
What you need:
- ½ Red onion, sliced
- 3 Cups lettuce, chopped
- ¼ Cup radicchio, chopped
- ½ Cup croutons
- Parmesan cheese to taste
- 2 garlic cloves
- 4 anchovies
- 3 Egg yolks
- 3 Tbsp lemon juice
- ½ Cup olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 Tsp mustard
- 4 Tbsp Parmesan
In a bowl mix the croutons, lettuce, radicchio and red onion. Set aside.
In the bowl of a food processor add the garlic cloves and the anchovies, pulse for 1 minute.
Add the egg yolks, the mustard, Parmesan and lemon juice and pulse for 30 seconds.
Pour half of the olive oil and pulse. Repeat with the second half. Add the salt and pepper to taste.
Pour around ¼ Cup of the dressing in the salad bowl and toss until everything is well coated.
Top with Parmesan cheese. Serve and enjoy
You can also add some grilled chicken breast or shrimp to turn your Parmesan Caesar Salad into a complete meal!
You might like some of these other fun salads this summer:
Summer means cook outs, picnics and potlucks so we all need a few signature dishes to bring that not only wow the other guests, but get them asking you for the recipe! This Jalapeno Popper Bites with Bacon snack is just the ticket that will make sure you are always invited back!
You will need:
12 wonton wrappers
4 oz. cream cheese, softened
½ cup sour cream
5 strips of cooked & crumbled bacon
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
3-4 jalapeños, seeded and chopped
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Spray your muffin / cupcake pan with a non-stick cooking spray.
Place one wonton wrapper in each muffin cup lightly pushing down to form a cup
Bake for 6 minutes
You are guaranteed to impress any who try it!