Are you unhappy with the way your credit report looks? Do you want to improve your score? Fortunately, there are a number of things you can do to improve your score and make yourself more likely to get approved by lenders. Here are some tips on how to clean up your credit report.
- Don’t miss a payment. Forgetting to pay your bill is one of the biggest reasons a person’s credit score will drop. Take whatever steps you need to make to pay your bills, whether it be setting up automatic payments or payment reminders.
- Pay more than your monthly minimum. This will help you pay off your debt faster and ensure you’re paying more than just accumulating interest.
- Reduce your overall debt. Your available credit to debt ratio plays a key role in your credit score. Take any steps you can to reduce the amount of money you owe. Avoid making major purchases with credit in the future.
- Consider consolidating your debt. If you have several high interest cards, consolidation can help make it easier for you to pay back the money you owe. Your credit score may drop initially, but it will help in the long run.
- Decide if a balance transfer may help. If you have one credit card that’s high interest, transferring your balance may be an ideal option. Balance transfer cards generally give you 12 to 18 months to pay off your debt at a low or no interest rate.
- Don’t close cards you don’t use anymore. While closing them may seem smart, it can actually hurt your credit.
These are just a few of the steps you can take to clean up your credit report and, ultimately, boost your credit score in the long run.