This is a yummy lasagna that has 4 great cheeses in it: cottage, parmesean, cheddar and mozzarella! You can make it in advance, and heat it as you wish — it also freezes well!
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (28 ounces) tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 2 cups (16 ounces) 4% cottage cheese
- 2/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded mild cheddar cheese
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 2 eggs
- 1 pound lasagna noodles, cooked and drained
In a skillet, cook beef, onion and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink and onion is tender; drain. In a blender, process the tomatoes until smooth. Stir into beef mixture along with mushrooms, tomato paste and seasonings; simmer 15 minutes.
In a bowl, combine cottage cheese, Parmesan, cheddar, 1/2 cup mozzarella and eggs. Spread 2 cups meat sauce in the bottom of an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Arrange half the noodles over sauce. Spread cheese mixture over noodles. Top with remaining noodles and sauce.
Cover and bake at 350° for 45 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with remaining mozzarella. Return to the oven for 15 minutes or until cheese is melted.