What do you do when you take a quick inventory of your baking supplies and realize that you have a bajillion cupcake liners?
These cupcakes put together two of my family’s favorite things: maple and bacon, to make a sweet, yet savory treat!
It’s simple to make and oooohhhh so yummy to eat!
4 1⁄2 tablespoons butter at room temperature
1⁄2 tablespoon bacon drippings (solid)
5 tablespoons brown sugar
4 tablespoons maple syrup
1 1⁄4 cups self rising flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
tiny pinch salt
1⁄4 cup milk
1⁄4 cup of cooked minced bacon
Directions for Batter:
– Cook bacon in a fry pan (I used one pound).
– Reserve the drippings and place in the fridge to solidify.
– Mince 1/4 a cup of the bacon.
– Beat the butter and solidified bacon fat until light and creamy.
– Add the brown sugar and maple syrup and beat well until combined.
– Add the egg and beat until incorporated.
– Sift the flour, salt, baking soda and powder together.
– Mix until just combined.
-Fold in the bacon.
-Taste and add more maple syrup, flour, or milk if needed for desired taste.
– Scoop into cupcake papers.
– Bake at 350 F for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Maple Syrup frosting:
4 tablespoons of butter
2 tablespoons of maple syrup
1 cup of powdered sugar.
Directions for Frosting:
-Beat the syrup and butter until combined.
-Add the sugar, a bit at a time.
-Whip at high speeds until combined.
-Pipe or spread onto cupcakes.
Now, rip into them like a monkey on a cupcake – ha!