It’s that time of year again! You know, cleaning out closets, going to the garage sales, having garage sales. But have you ever sold anything on Craigslist?
Craigslist is a great place to sell your stuff! Hundreds and hundreds people are searching everyday for items just like the ones you are trying to get rid of! And they are ready to buy! Here are some tips on how to sell your stuff quickly and safely on Craigslist!
1. Take Good Photos!
You don’t necessarily have to be a stellar photographer or anything, but there are a few tips to make sure you have a good selling photograph.
– Clean it up! Do a quick wipe down, dusting, vacuum, etc.
– Try to get a photo of the item and only the item. If you can move the stuff around so the only thing in your photo is the item you are selling. It will keep your pictures crisp and buyers from getting distracted.
– Take multiple angles and close ups!
– If possible, use natural light!
– Use free photo editing software like Picmonkey to help!
2. Keywords are VITAL!
You’ve got one chance in coming up in a search! Make it count. Obviously you want to include basic information (for example, a table), but you want to think about how or what would you search to find it.
Here is an example.
Bad: For sale kitchen table
Good: 8 person Large Solid Cherry Wood Antique Farmhouse Style Kitchen Table
Bad: For sale kid’s bed
Good: Solid Wood Walnut Child’s Bed With Room For Storage Underneath Kid’s Furniture
– You don’t need to specify that something is ‘for sale’. If it’s on Craigslist then it is safe to say that it’s probably for sale!
– Be descriptive!
– Think of synonyms! You don’t know if someone will search for child’s bed or kid’s furniture, so why not add both to your description!
3. Check your spelling….. and then check it again!
Make sure you spell things correctly! Remember people will be searching for things! A quick typo (typing too fast and accidentally writing tabel instead of table for example!) can mean that people aren’t seeing your item!
4. List it….and Re-list it
Everyday there are TONS of items being listed on Craigslist. List your item for sale and wait 48 hours. If it doesn’t sell, check out your keywords (and your price!) and reevaluate if anything needs to be changed. Then, delete your first listing and re-list. This will help make sure your item doesn’t get lost in the hundreds of listings!
5. Be Safe!
DO NOT MEET AT YOUR HOME!
Did you read that? Don’t do it!! Meet in a public place. Better yet, have the person you are meeting meet you at the police station. If for some reason, you got a crazy, chances are they will not be willing to meet you at the police station!
Do NOT respond to scams!
This means, do NOT send money to anyone. FOR ANY REASON. ANY. REASON.
Selling on Craigslist is a great way to get rid of some of your stuff and make a little money doing so! Have you ever bought something or sold something on Craigslist?