- 2 ½ cups shredded, unsweetened coconut
- red food dye
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 egg whites, lightly whisked
- 5 tsp vanilla
- Powdered sugar, optional
- Heart shaped cookie cutter
- Baking sheet
- Parchment paper
- Large metal spoon
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Prep a baking sheet with parchment paper
2. Add the coconut, whisked eggs, vanilla and sugar to a medium sized mixing bowl. Toss everything well, making sure that all the coconut is completely coated.
3. Make sure that you are using a metal spoon for this next step so that you don’t dye your wooden or plastic spatulas. Drop 6-8 drops of red dye into the coconut mixture. Mix the dye in with all the coconut, trying to get everything as evenly colored as possible. If you want your hearts to appear even redder, add some more red food dye.
4. If you have a heart shaped cookie cutter, place it on the parchment paper covered baking sheet and spoon the mixture into it. You want the macaroons to be about an inch thick. Once the entire heart shape has been filled, lift the cookie cutter away and repeat till all the mixture is used.
If you do not have a heart shaped cookie cutter, spoon the mixture onto the baking sheet and press flat. Using your fingers, pinch one end into a point to create the bottom of a heart and press the sides of the opposite end together to create the rounded sides of a heart.
5. Bake sweetheart macaroons in the oven for 15-20 minutes. As soon as the tops are slightly brown, remove from oven and allow them to cool. They need to be completely cooled before transferring.
6. Plate your heart macaroon and dust them with powdered sugar. Enjoy!