This seemed like a great idea as I head off to Chicago today for that International Home and Housewares Show that I mentioned in Operation Insanity last month!
If you’re planning to head out to the Windy City sometime soon, I have the guide to your perfect first trip! I have been to Chicago a few times and I would say that I know the city pretty well. Chicago is an amazing city and I have absolutely LOVED visiting. There is so much to do in Chicago and so many awesome sights to see. Today I will be sharing with you a few places you should visit and things you should do to prepare for your first trip to Chicago, Illinois:
1. Be Safe: Just like any other really busy city, Chicago can be a bit dangerous for both walkers and drivers. There are a lot of taxi drivers that don’t pay close enough attention when they drive and tend to drive recklessly, watch out for them as you drive and walk! There are also a lot of one way streets, so be sure that you are paying close attention to how the roads are directing you to go.
2. Visit The Bean: The Bean is probably the first thing anyone thinks of when they think of things to see in Chicago! There are so many iconic pictures of the large silver bean in the heart of Millennium Park in Chicago. I would definitely recommend seeing this piece and taking your picture with it as well! It’s so cool to see, especially in the night time lighting!
3. Visit the Willis Tower: The Willis Tower used to be referred to as the Sears Tower but it is the tallest skyscraper in Chicago and so much fun to visit! There is a ton of history to be learned from your visit to the Willis Tower and you can even get daring and take a walk out onto the glass sky deck where you can see the city below you.
4. Eat Good Food: Chicago is known for their Chicago style deep dish pizza and their Chicago Hot Dogs! I would highly recommend try both because once you do you will be in heaven. There isn’t anything better out there in my opinion! If you’re looking for a delicious deep dish pizza, check out Giordanos…I’m just sayin’
5. Shop: Shopping in Chicago is absolutely amazing! There is a mile long strip of various places to shop known as The Magnificent Mile. There is absolutely no reason that you should miss out on this! There are some amazing stores including the Hershey’s Store, or they have a really awesome Apple Store. Definitely spend some of your time shopping in Chicago!
6. See Baseball: Visiting Wrigley Field is definitely something you should have on your bucket list! It is absolutely amazing and it’s really awesome to see a Chicago Cubs game. If you are not able to actually see a game, you can also just visit the ball park and take an awesome tour to earn all of the history of the park.
7. Stay Warm: Chicago isn’t known as the Windy City for nothin’! It tends to be really windy there all year long which can make it a bit chilly, especially at night. I would definitely recommend bringing the proper attire with you on your trip, even if you go in the Summer be sure to bring a light jacket just in case!
If you already have plans to visit or if you are looking for a fun vacation spot, Chicago is a great place to go. I hope you keep this list in mind when it comes to having a good time and enjoying yourself, while of course being safe in the Windy City!