One of the most prolific things in my summer garden is tomatoes. This simple tomato pie recipe is perfect for not only a thrifty meal offering, but a healthy one!
What you need:
- 5 Roma tomatoes, sliced
- 1 large green tomato, and sliced
- 10 fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1 (9-inch) pre-baked deep dish pie shell
- 1 cup grated blended pizza cheese
- 1 cup grated cheddar
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup Parmesan Cheese
- Salt and pepper
What to do:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Slice all of your tomatoes
- Place the tomatoes in a colander in the sink.
- Use salt to season your tomatoes and allow your tomatoes drain for 10 minutes.
- Then place your tomatoes on a paper towel and pat-dry the tomatoes.
- Lightly push on the tomatoes to make sure most of the excess juice is out.
- Layer the tomato slices, basil, and onion in pie shell.