It is camping season, finally! Grab the tent and sleeping bags, insect repellant and the hammock, of course. Don’t forget the cooler filled with yummy treats and drinks. Here is what should be in every camper’s cooler.
Headed out for a weekend of fun, whether it is to the beach or into the wilderness, you will need to pack a few of the basics. Eating out can be expensive, and quite frankly, you might not be able to if you are out in the middle of nowhere. Start with what your family likes to eat and build from there. Here are some of the basics though to get you started.
- Veggies cut up – carrots, celery, cauliflower, and broccoli
- Fresh fruit cut up – watermelon, strawberries, melon, and oranges
- Fresh fruit ready to eat – blueberries, blackberries, bananas, and apples
- Peanut Butter
- Eggs, bacon, and tortillas for a hearty breakfast
Now you might not eat all that fruit, but it is better to have healthy snacks than not. Oh, and if you really did bring too much, toss them into a pitcher with a bottle of white wine for fresh sangrias!
The extra stuff you toss in your cooler is where you kick it up a notch. This is especially true with the drinks and the fun snacks that might not be the most nutritious for us. But seriously, how can you go camping and not have tortilla chips and salsa with a good craft beer?
- Tortilla Chips and fresh salsa
- Craft Beer like Leinenkugel’s Summer Shandy, Alaskan Brewing Freeride IPA, 21st Amendment’s Hell or High Watermelon, or Oskar Blues Dale’s Pale Ale
- Cheddar cheese chunks and cut up sausage
- Turkey or chicken sliced meat with a cream cheese spread topped with spinach and sliced cucumbers, then rolled up.
- Iced coffee and Almond Milk
- Lemonade, Limeade, or Orange Juice
- Vodka to add to the lemonade or limeade. Use Grapefruit Vodka for an extra awesome drink.
- Bag of ice
These are just a few items that should be in everyone’s cooler. When camping or hanging out at the lake, you want to make sure you have good protein, healthy fruits and veggies, plus other items that you might crave like pickles or chips. Having base juices that you can make other things with is also essential.
What is going in your cooler this camping trip?