We all think dating is something that happens when we first meet someone new, a way to get to know each other and decide if we want to get into a relationship together. Most of us don’t think of dating as something we do after we get married.
It doesn’t matter whether you’ve been together 10 months or 10 years, dating is an important factor in a healthy relationship. A recent study by The National Marriage Project confirmed the effectiveness of a weekly date night for those in a long-term relationship. After studying hundreds of couples, here are several of the reasons they found supporting a weekly date night:
1. This study discovered that weekly quality time together as a couple was just as important for married couples with kids as well as couples without.
2. For couples who had a new baby, date night meant they were half as likely to suffer a decline in the quality of their marriage.
3. Weekly date night also meant they were more likely to have a higher quality relationship and the divorce rate was lower than those who didn’t spend quality time together.
4. They discovered that weekly date nights increased communication about important matters and reduced everyday distractions.
5. Date nights reduce the feeling of taking one another for granted. You are both able to have a chance to do fun and exciting activities.
6. The study found that wives who enjoyed a date night less than once a week were 4 times more likely to seek a divorce and husbands who had date night less than once a week were 2.5 times more likely to seek a divorce.
7. Having a date night supports spouses in reclaiming their individual identity and their identity as a couple. So often, they are too busy taking care of everyone else to focus on who they want to be as a person and as a couple.
Relationships take work, especially the life-long ones. And while it’s great to be content and comfortable in your relationship, you don’t want to take each other for granted and become distant from each other. Enjoying quality time together on a weekly basis helps you to reconnect with each other, building a stronger bond for your relationship. It’s a simple way to maintain a healthy relationship as well as maintaining your own individuality. Enjoy a night out with your honey this week!