Ozark Pie is a Budget Treat
I may have been compensated for this post. Please keep in mind that it affects you in no way financially. If an item is being reviewed, I am not obligated to give a positive review and always use my own words. This disclosure is in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising. If you would like a review done contact Dannelle at email@example.com
I have mentioned before that on one side of my family, we are part Tennesee Hillbilly. We actually DO have a recipe for the best possum you could ever wrap your lips around, but we won’t be sharing that here. Ever. Even if I did share Our Easy 4 Ingredient Chili Dog Casserole a while back. While Ozark Pie is a budget friendly, yet tasty treat, it is beyond easy to make.
Ozark pie is for those people that want a tasty treat – but hate making pie crust. Pie crust isn’t really that difficult, just a little putzy. Store bought pie crust can be kind of nasty or just plain hard to work with. This is more like a “dump cake” and beyond amazing when you serve it with vanilla bean ice cream.
My mom’s Aunt Fern taught me how to make this – she had a small chicken farm and could make amazing meals out of almost no ingredients. This Ozark pie uses things that most people have in their pantry and just one large apple. It is beyond thrifty and great for when you have that little sweet tooth.
Now, not all apples are created equal – which flavor you pick really sets the flavor for this. Do you like a little bite of tart? Go with a Granny Smith or Macintosh. Want something sweeter? Go with a Gala or Fuji. I tend to avoid “delicious” apples like Red Delicious or Golden Delicious because they don’t bake as well. There really are a ton of apples to pick from – just consider it’s taste before using it.
Us? We prefer tart – like a Granny Smith. When paired with that Vanilla Bean Ice Cream? It is a party in your mouth. Even more so when you drizzle a little caramel ice cream topping over that iced cream. Just. Yum.
This time? We used a Granny Smith.
Great Aunt Fern’s Ozark Pie
You will need:
- 1 egg
- ¾ cup sugar
- ¾ cup flour
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 cup chopped apples
- ½ cup nuts
- ½ T vanilla
- dash salt
Beat eggs, the longer you beat the eggs, the lighter the Ozark Pie will be. Then add the sugar and mix well.
Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Stir the dry ingredients into the egg mixture, along with the vanilla, apples, and nuts.
Grease a deep dish pie pan or 8″ x 8″ square dish and bake at 300 for 45 minutes.
*Note: This freezes well.
Other dessert recipes you may enjoy:
- Easy and Impressive Pumpkin Puff Pastry Twist
- Lemon Crumb Mini Bundt Cakes
- Chewy Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Bars
- Whimsical Fruity Pebbles Rice Krispies Treats
- Decadent Instant Pot Lava Cakes
- Beyond Sinful Brownie PMS Dip
- Crock Pot Pazookie Recipe
Other budget friendly recipes
- Red Lentil Bolognese Recipe for Pasta
- 30 Ways for Cooking Red Lentils
- Recipes for Shredded Rotisserie Chicken
- Spring Garden Old Fashioned Swiss Steak Recipe
- Broccoli Crunch Salad Screams Summer
- Mouthwatering Ceasar Chicken Pasta Casserole Recipe
- Orange Marmalade Pork Chops Recipe
Other Apple Recipes
- Cute Apple Spice Leaf Cookies
- Apple Pepper Jelly Made in the Instant Pot
- Beyond Easy Instant Pot Apple Butter
- Rustic Apple Pie Recipe
- Spiced Vanilla Apple Caramel Moonshine
- Apple Fritter Pull-Apart Bread
- Delicious Fall Apple Fritter Moonshine
- Apple Cider Snickerdoodle Cookies
- Apple Funnel Cake Rings w/Homemade Caramel Sauce Recipe