Decadent Strawberry Hot Cocoa From Childhood
I may have been compensated for this post. Please keep in mind that it affects you in no way financially. If an item is being reviewed, I am not obligated to give a positive review and always use my own words. This disclosure is in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising. If you would like a review done contact Dannelle at email@example.com
I know Strawberry Hot Cocoa sounds like an unorthodox version of a classic childhood cold weather treat, but it takes be back to childhood.
I remember being eleven and skating on a local pond with my best bud: Patty. It was January, and we had walked there while carrying our skates. I was a little bit of a show-off ( I know, hard to believe) and skated a little too far over the area that had a little bit of thinner ice. Yup, I went through it.
I was lucky that it was only about three feet deep, but I landed on my tush, thoroughly soaking me from head to toe.
This was before the days of cell phones, and we had to trek back to her house. In January. While I was soaked from head to toe from falling through the ice, and my clothes were slowly freezing to my skin.
I have never again been that cold.
Her mom had me jump in the shower, got me a change of clothes, and whipped up a pot of hot cocoa to help take the chill out o my from the inside. To this day, that cocoa was the best cocoa I ever wrapped my lips around, and it was strawberry based!
I never did get that recipe from her; it wasn’t something you thought about as a tween in the early 80s. I do remember the pin Nesquik that she had setting on the counter. We have played around a bit here and come up with this version.
Since my gastric bypass surgery, I have a hard time with things that are “too chocolaty,” so we had to come up with an alternative. This strawberry hot cocoa is NOT the most nutritious recipe we have created, but in small doses, it should be OK. Just check out our Decadent Strawberry Hot Cocoa.
I know strawberry hot cocoa sounds strange, but using the freshly macerated berries really takes this treat to the next level.
What does macerated mean in cooking? When you macerate something, you soften it by soaking it in a liquid, often while you’re cooking or preparing food. To macerate strawberries, all you have to do is cut them up, and then sprinkle sugar on them. That draws out their juices so they become soft and sweet and deliciously saucy. It makes them perfect for things like strawberry shortcake, or this strawberry hot cocoa recipe.
Decadent Strawberry Hot Cocoa
You will need:
- 16 oz. of whole milk
- Strawberry Milk Powder
- 1 cup of sliced strawberries
- ¼ cup of sugar
- 2 cups of milk or half n half
- ½ cup of white chocolate
- In a small bowl, place sugar over the strawberries and set aside for 30 minutes.
- Place the strawberries in a food processor or blender and puree.
- Set to the side.
- In a medium saucepan, over a medium-low heat place your whole milk, strawberry milk powder, and white chocolates.
- Continue stirring until chocolate is melted.
- Add in strawberries and continue cooking over low heat about two more minutes.
- Pour your cocoa into your glasses and garnish with whip cream and berries.
Print off a pdf of our recipe here: Decadent Strawberry Hot Cocoa by Operation40k
Other cocoa recipes you may enjoy:
- Boozy Kahlua Chocolate Chip Cookie Cocoa
- White Chocolate Cotton Candy Cocoa
- Try Our Stranger Things Cocoa
- Lego Batman Beyond Gotham Cocoa
Other strawberry recipes you may enjoy:
- Amazing Instant Pot Strawberry Dump Cake
- Instant Pot Strawberry Jam Recipe
- Strawberry Mason Jar Cheesecakes